Petah Tikva Stabbing

Israel News for 7-25-17

Terror Attack
A 21-year-old Palestinian from the town of Ar’ara, who was illegally residing in Israel, stabbed a 35 year old Israeli Arab (who he apparently thought was Jewish) multiple times at a shwarma shop near Petah Tikva’s Central Bus Station. The victim, an Egged bus driver, was rushed to Rabin Medical Center with serious wounds to the upper body and neck. The terrorist was captured and arrested. He told police that that he “did it for Al-Aqsa.”

The terrorist reportedly tried to escape down a side street, but we was spotted by a driver who rammed into him with his car.

To view a security video of the attack click here.

Metal Detectors Out
The Security Cabinet decided last night to remove the metal detectors from the entrances to the Temple Mount and replace them with other advanced “smart” inspection devices. The removal began late last night.

The timetable for the installation of the new inspection equipment is expected to be six months and has been allocated a budget of NIS 100 million. Until the installation is complete, the police presence in the area will be significantly increased and the surveillance cameras installed there yesterday will continue to function.

The cabinet’s decision comes in the wake of a visit by US envoy Jason Greenblatt, who met with PM Netanyahu in Jerusalem yesterday along with US Ambassador Friedman.

Also yesterday, Jordan’s King Abdullah asked the PM in a phone call Monday to remove the metal detectors and “stressed the need to find an immediate solution and remove the causes of the ongoing crisises in Al-Haram Al-Sharif, ensure the return of the situation to what it was before the outbreak, and ensure the full opening of the Al-Aqsa Mosque.”

Arab media is reporting the the Waqf is opposed to the new security proposal.

For further reading click here.

Terror Arrests
Early this morning Israeli security forces arrested the mother of the terrorist who murdered three Israelis in the settlement of Halamish last Friday night on suspicion of incitement to violence, after she made repeated calls for terror attacks against Jews.

In other operations overnight, Israeli security forces arrested 26 wanted suspects across Judea and Samaria, including 22 terrorists suspected of violent attacks on Israeli civilians and security forces.

For further reading click here.

Jordan Incident
The entire diplomatic staff at the Israeli embassy in Jordan, including the security guard who shot and killed the terrorist who stabbed him, arrived safely back in Israel yesterday. The Prime Minister’s Office said the return of the Israeli diplomatic staff was made possible thanks to close cooperation between Israel and Jordan.

Netanyahu met with the security guard in his office today and said, “I am happy to see you here and that things ended the way they did. You acted well, calmly, and we also had an obligation to get you out. This was not even a question. It was only a question of time and I am pleased that it was short.”

For further reading click here.